Ok so as I mentioned I did happen to squeeze in a spot of sewing during April. In fact I actually only did one night of sewing all month yet managed to produce three cute Wiksten tanks. I discovered this pattern online a while ago and have been itching to try it out. As I was packing for my holiday to Bali last month I suddenly realised how handy it would be to have a couple of cute little basic cotton tanks to take with me. Some easy tops that I don’t need to worry about ironing and can throw on with anything…but of course they had to be über cute to boot! So in true ‘all or nothing’ sewing fashion I made these 3 tanks the night before I flew out on holidays … Yes 3 tanks in one night!
I love this tank! Such a simple design that looks so effective on and works in so many fabrics. As you can see I used contrast binding on the arm holes and neckline, this was both for added cuteness factor as well as a time saving method. The contrast binding I used was pre-made and bought from the local fabric store. I should really sit down and make my own but for this last minute project the store bought variety worked wonderfully.
I must admit that I did ‘tweak’ the pattern ever so slightly, back in March I made one of these as a toile out of some cheap cotton. I am glad I did because as a result of my ‘mock-up’ I sized down from what the sizing recommended and I also scooped the back neck a bit. You can see from the photos that the red one was scooped even more than the other two.
This adorable orange Wiksten Tank was made using some floral folk print quilting fabric. I picked this doozy up in the clearance bin at my local fabric store while I was in there looking for the contrast binding. At $2 per metre I am not complaining! Although the quilting cottons can be a little stiff when you first purchase them, after a couple of washes this one has softened up nicely. I tried to make them all slightly different so with this orange tank I added some of the contrast binding to the pocket edge.
The Red Wiksten Tank was made using a floral print Rayon that I picked up about a year ago … this fabric has been waiting for just the right project and I think I nailed it! This top is the lightest and breeziest of the lot and an absolute dream to wear. (sorry it looks a little creased in the photos) I decided to make this tank sans-pocket, for no other reason than just to change it up a little – definitely happy with my choice. I also extended the back of this one a tad, it works well with the soft way in which this rayon falls.
It is hard to say which of the three Wiksten Tanks is my favourite but if I had to choose I think this one would be it! This is a vintage piece if fabric that I picked up from the op-shop a few years ago now … the price tag still attached said $1.00. I love love love this print, at first glance it looks like a bit of a mish-mash of muted tones but on closer inspection it is full of the rich earthy hues that are so popular at the moment. I can’t even count how many times I have pulled this little piece of fabric from my stash in the hope of being inspired to create something fabulous with it … I must say I am not disappointed with the result of this one. The cute polka-dot binding adds an obvious contrast to the tropical print yet ties in nicely. This version does have a pocket if you look closely but it blends in so well that it is hardly noticeable.
Final verdict … I think there will be a few (dozen) more of these in my wardrobe before the year is out. My next projects with the Wiksten Tank pattern will include a silk version and maybe even a dress.
Ps Thanks sister-in-law for the use of the cute coat hanger that I found in your wardrobe while house-sitting 🙂